"Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" - Jeremiah 23:29

Monday, November 22, 2010

Two Recollections

There are many experiences I have that convince me of the reality of God, and the fact that he is very actively working today. There are many amazing accounts that have been written by many people, but here I will share two experiences which served to strengthen my faith. Now these are only two of the many happenings. I see God at work in many things, and if I wrote them all down I would not have enough paper (or megabytes of storage). Though these stories are simple and only about ordinary happenings they are nonetheless meaningful to me.

………………………………..........................

A year ago I needed to get so many hours of night flying to meet a requirement. So here I was flying at night by myself in a small single engine airplane (a Cessna 172, that plane had nice equipment also). It was May 12, 2009 as I know from my pilot logbook. I enjoy flying at night because it is very peaceful, and quite (when wearing a headset). The flight went well and if I remember correctly the airport was deserted or at least nearly so after I returned. (It’s an uncontrolled airport, no tower.) Something about feeling all alone at night put me in the mood of thankfulness and of wanting to seek more of a closeness to God. I had about an hour drive home from this airport and decided that I wanted to listen to some Christian music, which at that time I rarely did. I only have a radio in my car so I was searching through the stations looking for some Christian music. I was slightly surprised and frustrated that I could not find anything good, and I prayed that I would. I had certain classic rock stations programmed into my radio. I thought to myself that God is so awesome that if he wanted to he could even make a classic rock radio station play Christian music. (and that’s exactly what he did!) I checked my regular classic rock stations and the third station was now playing Christian music! I praised God and from that time forth to today that station, 107.5 now plays Christian music. It used to be “Frank FM” but is now WBYN FM. Some of the “Christian” music on there is made to glorify the musician or the tune rather than God, but they do also play some good Christian music. Moreover I discovered “Truth for Life” and “Walk in the Word” which are generally good Biblical programs from what I have heard of them. I enjoy listening to them when I happen to be in the car when they are on, which does not happen much now.

……………………………….......................

The past couple of months I have been riding bicycle nearly everywhere and I generally only drive my car once a week, just to make sure it still runs well, especially considering the colder weather now. (why I ride bicycle now is a story for another day on another blog) When I ride my bicycle there is a traffic light shortly before I get to work. If anyone has experience riding bicycle or even motorcycle than one knows that traffic lights often are not aware of their existence. This means that I was always hoping for a car to be there so that the light will change in order for me to go. Often there is no car around so I make a right turn on the red light, and then make a U-turn and go my merry way. Well one day as I approached the light and began to make the right turn I thought to myself, if God wanted to he could change the light for me. As soon as I thought this I saw the light turn green and I continued and was able to go left instead of right and then making a U-turn. I Praise God for this! And to this day the traffic light always changes for my bicycle. I even used to ride my scooter (legally a motorcycle) there and the light never changed for it, and it is larger and much heavier than my bicycle.

………………………………..............

There are many times when events and circumstances seem to go my way even when by all reason they should not. I attribute these happenings to the grace of God and his tender mercies. (Psalm 40:11) What I am talking about are reminders and pleasant surprises which barely happen, or things which easily might not have been nor resulted if things had just been a little different. Also, over and over again there are circumstances and events which are pieced together so carefully and out side of my control that I have no other conclusion than that they were put together that way by God for a purpose. Often I am convinced that they are the result of my or others prayers but however it is; it is God working for his purposes and he is working in a way so that all things work together for good to those that love him and are called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28) Though we must be careful not to rely only on outward events as evidence of God’s approval. For Satan may be allowed to deceive us thereby. Consider Job. And consider that the physical blessings of riches tend to lead one astray (Revelation 3:17, Matthew 19:23, Proverbs 30:8-9).

No comments:

Post a Comment