"Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" - Jeremiah 23:29

Monday, October 21, 2013

Prayers Of Protection Part II: The Will Of God Is Open

O thou that hearest prayer, unto thee shall all flesh come. – Psalm 65:2

Christians have a lot of responsibilities. Prayer and using the power provided through it is one of these responsibilities. The Lord hears the prayer of the righteous and the prayer of the upright is his delight.  (Proverbs 15:8, Proverbs 15:29) But for those who turn their ear from hearing God’s commands? God regards their very prayers as an abomination. (Proverbs 28:9, Isaiah 1:15, Psalms 109:2-7)

In 2 Kings 20:1-6 (Isaiah 38:1-6) we read of Hezekiah and his serious illness. The prophet Isaiah came to King Hezekiah and warned him to set his house in order since the Lord said that he would die. What does Hezekiah do? He changes the mind of God. How? He prays and weeps before God. We see that the word of the Lord came again unto Isaiah and Isaiah returns to Hezekiah and says this word; “Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee…and I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David’s sake.”

In Exodus 32:7-14 we see how the Lord told Moses that he was going to destroy the Israelites because of their Idolatry. The Lord planned to consume them entirely and make a nation of Moses (Exodus 32:10). But Moses changed the mind of God. How? He besought the Lord and pleaded with him. He spoke to the Lord of his faithful servants Abraham, Isaac, and Israel. Thus Moses interceded and spared the lives of the then living Israelites whom God was prepared to destroy. 

This is what those who love and serve God can do…they can change the mind of God and by so doing change not only the lives of those whom they love, but they can change the very course of history.

This is not a game to be played. We don’t gain power to change God’s plans by obeying him. We love God and because we love him, we obey him. Because we love him we are his friends, as friends of God we work with God since his will is our desire. Thus his will becomes ours…and our will becomes his. This is just how it is supposed to be with human friendships and in marriage.

John 15:12-16 – “This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of my Father in my name, he may give it you.”

In Jeremiah 11:12-14 we can see how God turned away from hearing the prayers of those who were formerly his people. We read that he not only refused to hear them, but he commanded that the righteous should not pray for them. Why? Because these people who knew better had fallen into great Idolatry. They had set up alters and worshiped gods contrary to the commandment of the Lord.

When we pray to God we protect people, awake and transform people, becoming an ever needed agent of change and spring of miracles in a world that is lost, perverse, and starving for the truth and grace of the living, loving, eternal God. But we dare not expect to see change or really any effects from our prayers if we have or are committing Idolatry. Idols are anything we place before God. Any priority we hold as more important than God. In 1 Peter 3:7 we see that prayers can be hindered in the lives of men who mistreat their wives. This in one example of many in how our lives must be ordered by the principles of God if we are to have any power in prayer.

Thus, the reason we do not see God working today as much as we could is because of the multitude of Idolatries in the “Christian church” and in society at large. Let us dare to believe God in completeness, becoming his friends and the directors of change in the world for the sake of His Kingdom. 

But woe unto him who thinks he can direct the world without surrendering to the Lord. Woe unto him who attests to be God’s friend without bringing his behavior into the subjection of the Lord’s commands. For surely he shall change the world, but he will do so in opposition to the will of God receiving just damnation in due time. 

He shall regard the prayer of the destitute, and not despise their prayer. – Psalm 102:17

Blessed be God, which hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me. – Psalm 66:20

For more about prayer see the following verses - Matthew 21:22, Philippians 1:19, James 5:15-16, Revelation 5:8, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Acts 6:4, Luke 6:11-17

Let all mortals pray thus; Lord let me feel the burden of my sin, not so that it may crush me, but so that I may be wise, beholding the evil that I may choose the good. Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment