"Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" - Jeremiah 23:29

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Cautious about Birthdays

I would say that Birthday celebration is not necessary wrong*, But I speak for myself and say that it is best for me not to do it. And others should consider weather it leads them toward or away from Christ. Just this past Spring (in the month of my birthday) I had decided that I was not celebrating my Birthday anymore. Of course I got the ridicule that I just did not want to have any fun. I only told my immediate family. There are a few reasons I was/am generally against birthday celebration. Birthday celebration in general makes people prideful, which leads to sin. I think about many times I hear people say “I’m not going to work since it’s my birthday” or “It’s my birthday so I can overindulge in this or that today” for many people it is a license to sin. People think (mistakenly) that something is owed to them on their birthday. It’s about their pride, and of course we hear how birthdays are very important to Satanists. And most importantly we have the Biblical examples of the celebration of Birthdays and how in scripture there are only examples of heathens keeping that day. We have the account of Pharaohs birthday party in Genesis 40:20-22 where he made a feast for his servants and hanged his chief baker. And of course the New testament account of Herod’s birthday celebration, which resulted in the death (beheading) of John the Baptist. It could be that the pride and foolishness that resulted from Herod celebrating his birthday was the cause of John’s death. (Since Herod made an oath, later regretting it, but for the oath’s sake had John beheaded anyhow).(Matthew 14:6-12, Mark 6:20-30)

One thing also to note though is that I was ridiculed for not wanting to have any fun, for being against fun. This to me seemed a preposterous accusation, for I can say that there is no greater joy than to spend time with the Lord in prayer and to study his word. And No amount of Birthday celebrating can come close to that Joy. When I was much younger I thought that it would be right to find such Joy in Christ (since that is what the Bible spoke of) But I was unable to do so. I thank God that he has now allowed me to find such Unspeakable Joy Through Him.

So the undeniable conclusion is that for those whose find their greatest Joy in the Lord, Birthdays can easily be more of a hindrance than a help. But at the same time we may need encouragement through other people, but the increase of our pride helpeth no one but Satan.

"A good name is better than precious ointment; and the day of death than the day of one's birth." Ecclesiastes 7:1

Perhaps there is even more to Birthdays...check out the link below
http://sites.google.com/site/wheatharvestministries/Home/celebrating-birthdays

*UPDATE: There is more to birthdays. Putting candles on a cake, blowing them out and making a wish is definately wrong. As it is based on pagan prayers to false gods. It turns out (after much consideration) that if you take away what's pagan about celebrating birthday's that there is nothing left. (Just as is the case with Easter and Christmas) And in case you did not know Easter is the name of a pagan goddess (Can it be more blatant?) What a mockery it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment