"Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" - Jeremiah 23:29

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Don’t get pricked by the needle!

At the farm where I sometimes work we have a syringe to which a needle is attached which is used to give oxytocin injections to certain cows. There is one fellow who used to work there who appeared to think outside the box a bit more than others. One day he said “Here” as he threw to me the syringe with the attached needle. I was attempting to catch it, but at the last moment I stepped back and withdrew my hands because I thought that if I caught it I would surely prick my hand. He was pleased that I did not attempt to catch it at all costs. Because of course I did not have to catch it, though at first I assumed I did, but before it was too late I realized I did not. He said that the last person he threw it to caught it and got pricked. (Perhaps he should not be throwing needles at people, but the point was made).

I share this because in many ways we will be in a dangerous situation if we make assumptions or if we believe everything we hear. This story was not really a dangerous situation. But if we consider its parts; the needle, the thrower, the message of “Here” and the assumption that we must catch it, and us, and our reaction, and the results of our action. We could imagine the needle as sin (which leads unto death) and its thrower as Satan and the message and its accompanying assumption as the doctrines of men. Then also there is us; that is, each one of us and our reaction, and the results. So this could be compared to Satan deceiving men so that they work for him by spreading messages which leads others to sin, and we who are deceived by these messages sin (catch the needle) and receive death (Hell) as the consequence of believing (being deceived by) Satan. The reason we “catch the needle” is because we believe the lie that we must catch it. I guess I’d better give an example. One false doctrine taught by men (who believe Satan) is that any true thing cannot offend many “Christians.” Some actually believe (make-believe) that if a particular teaching is judgmental to many who call themselves Christians that that particular teaching is a lie. This of course is a logical fallacy, appealing to the common misconception that “if everyone else is doing it, it must be alright” The danger is that if the Bible teaches a thing which many who call themselves Christians do not believe, than we assume that we do not have to believe it either, so we don’t believe it. In doing this we deny the scripture, and its words condemn us because we don’t yield to it. And this brings us to another common lie; that God would not be so cruel as to deny us life simply because we were believing other Christians (rather than the word of God). We’ll here is a news flash; WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE ? Remember that we deserve nothing but Hell and God Loves us so much. Cannot we lay down our pride and selfishness for just a moment to seek him? Where the scriptures written is vain? Is the word of God for naught? So now you know what I mean when I say Don’t get pricked by the needle!

Part of the solution is that we need to be able to think out side the box. (in the sense that we are unconformed to the world and only conformed to Christ (Romans 8:29, 12:2)) God does not confine himself to working inside a box (neither indeed can he). Likewise, it is impossible for us to put God in a box. (By in a box I mean restricting who God is in opposition to what the scriptures teach, we do this by believing lies, any lie we believe gives us a false picture of reality, and lies are taught everywhere, we can only renew our minds and look to God to teach us) When we do put God in a box then God becomes god. Then he is no longer the God of the Prophets and Apostles, no longer the God of the Holy scriptures, no longer the God of reality. Then he becomes a god of our imagination who cannot save us, nor empower us, nor ultimately do any thing for us except inflate our bent to sin.

“With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful, and with the upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright. With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself unsavoury. And the afflicted people thou wilt save: but thine eyes are upon the haughty, that thou mayest bring them down. For thou art my lamp, O LORD: and the LORD will lighten my darkness. For by thee I have run through a troop: by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him. For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God? God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect. He maketh my feet like hinds' feet: and setteth me upon my high places.” 2 - Samuel 22:26-34

“Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.” -Proverbs 30:5-6

“The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever.” - Isaiah 40:8

And Jesus Said;

“And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it.” -Luke 8:21

“But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.” -Luke 11:28

No comments:

Post a Comment