"Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?" - Jeremiah 23:29

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Efficient Transportation: Renewing The Mind

We use cars, motorcycles, boats, planes, trains, bicycles and our feet to travel many places. What is the most efficient form of transportation?

Thought.

Now thought may not take us from Timbuktu to Kalamazoo. But it can help take us from worldliness to holiness or from bondage in sin to freedom in Christ Jesus.

“And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.” - Romans 12:2

We can direct our thoughts purposefully; we can pray, we can read God’s Holy Word, good Christian books, transcripts and tracts. We can listen to sermons, or to wholesome Christian music. We have a great deal of choice over what we fill our minds with.

When I was younger there used to be a series of books called “Alice in Bible Land Storybooks” which my parents would read to me. There was a phrase that went something like; “reading is the magic key that takes you where you want to be.” If I remember correctly Alice would start reading her Bible and then she would walk through a window, a mirror, a keyhole, a door perhaps into “Bible Land.”

As followers of Jesus Christ we are to “Renew our minds.” In essence, renewing our mind transports and transforms us to a higher plane. This is a place no earthly, physical mode of transportation can take us.

I think about Romans 12:2 often, especially when I was younger. I made it a practice to “renew” my mind many times. In high school I would often do this after I got out of class and on the bus. To me it was (and is) a mental effort; deprogramming my mind from the indoctrination, lies, and teachings of antichrist which are taught commonly in public (and private) school systems. It also involved an effort to rid my mind of impure or sinful thoughts, and to “think properly.” But to empty one’s mind of foolish things is of no value unless one fills it with good things as well, this I did also. I took time to pray in my mind, thanking Christ for all he has done and is doing, while disregarding (trying to ignore) those around me (all the folly, sin, and worldliness).

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” -Philippians 4:8

"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." -Psalms 51:10

O Let us have right thoughts and thoughts that lead to plenteousness (Proverbs 12:5, Proverbs 21:5).

See the Hymn "HIGHER GROUND"

No comments:

Post a Comment